What is the lightest backpack for ultralight backpacking and hiking trips? We have put all the data together to cover the top 2 lightest backpacks of 2017 and some alternatives. The ultralight backpacks listed vary in size from 17oz to around 40oz.
Minimalism is on the rise on many fronts. These backpacks are some of best companies making quality products such as these minimalist backpacks. The Arc Blast is at the top of the list for functional quality ultralight backpacks with many features. The Arc is the lightest pack with a frame, has substantial storage space, hip belt pockets, and is nearly waterproof.
You can do lightweight backpacking on a budget, but as always you get what you pay for. Backpacks such as ones from UL tend to hurt to carry once they are full.
How to Start Lightweight Backpacking
If you’re new to lightweight backpacking, there is a plethora of information on the web. Check out the links below.
To the Point:
Lightest with a Frame – ZPacks Arc Blast 52 Buy
- The lightest backpack with a frame weighs 21.3 oz and is called the ZPacks Arc Blast 52.
- It uses a “Flexed Arc” frame that creates an air gap on your back for comfort and air circulation.
- It is constructed from Cuben Hybrid Fabric on the inside and the outside also has a layer of 50 denier polyester.
- ZPacks Arc Blast has a total volume of 55liters or 3,400 cubic inches.
- The ZPacks backpack has many features and equipment add-ons, check out their website to review and buy.
Lightest without a Frame – Mountain Laurel Designs EXODUS Backpacker Buy
- The lightest backpacks without a frame weights just around 16oz and is called the Mountain Laurel Designs EXODUS Backpacker.
- Once the pack is fully configured the weight does rise, but the pack is intended to be completely modular.
- The Exodus is constructed from 70 denier Robic ripstop nylon and select areas of 100 denier Robic nylon.
- The Mountain Laurel Exodus has a total volume of 40liters or 2,354 cubic inches.
- This backpack is very modular, has many extra features and pack sizes. Check out their website.
Cheaper Alternatives – Lightest Backpacks of 2017
Osprey Exos 48 Buy
The Exo’s 48 can comfortably carry 30+ lbs of gear, has lots of storage, and features. The Osprey lacks the same reliability as the other picks. If you’re not looking for extreme buys, this is still a good quality pick for someone wanted to get started.
Gossamer Gear Gorilla 40 Buy
The Gossamer Gear Gorilla is lightweight (29oz and 17.5 when stripped.) The Gorilla has a volume of 38L and can carry lighter loads of 20-35 lbs with an aluminum frame. The Osprey Exos 48 is a middle ground for budget lightweight backpacks as its far less expensive than the others.
Lightest Backpacks of 2017